Creating your ad is easy, but make sure you remember to…
- Choose a secure password for your account. Not sure how, click here
- For extra privacy we can assign you with a virtual phone number which links through to the phone number you nominate. Please note: This service is available for Bikes, Boats, Caravans and Trucks & Machinery. Coming soon for Cars!
- Include the correct details & features of your item.
Find a balance between the price you want and the price you think buyers will pay for it…
- Research similar items on the carsales network to determine if your price expectations are realistic.
- Don’t sell yourself short. Check out RedBook.com.au for a free and quick online valuation.
- For extra credibility, for a small fee include a RedBook.com.au personalised valuation certificate with your listing.
Potential buyers will ask questions about the item and you to make sure you’re a legitimate seller, but…
- Be wary of buyers requesting specific personal details. You shouldn’t need to provide them with your account details or any banking information.
- Be wary of buyers who offer you much more than the asking price or who ask you to pay for services such as shipping, agent fees, or customs charges.
- Remember, the carsales network will never ask for your account information or login details by email.
Buyers can ask to inspect the item prior to purchase so they can make sure they’re happy with it…
- Where possible, arrange to meet at a neutral location like a police station car park and try to take someone with you.
- Make sure you take key information like registration details, vehicle log books and roadworthy certificates.
- Is the buyer who they say they are? Before they take your car, bike or boat out for a spin, ask to see their licence. Bring a pen and paper so you can write it down.
Before you accept an offer…
- Know how much you’re willing to accept and prepare to negotiate to a minimum price.
- Don’t take your ad down until you are certain you have received payment from the buyer – it won’t cost you anything to have it up longer.
- Ensure you have your transfer of ownership details ready to go.
Congratulations on your sale! Be safe when negotiating payment with the buyer…
- We don't offer any Escrow Services, and don't recommend using money transfer services such as Western Union.
- Don’t rely on “proof” of payment from the buyer. Check with your bank, PayPal or other provider that the money has been cleared and you can see the funds in your account before parting with your item.
- Give the buyer a receipt to confirm you’ve received their payment.